I used to live with a few Indian girls when I was in my second year of university and was always amazed at how incredible their homemade food was. Honestly, they made it look so easy to whip up these amazing curries and rice dishes. Here is my own version of a curried spice rice dish which can be served alongside some vegetables or meat/fish as a main course. This is ridiculously easy to make and will be ready in about 15-20 minutes.
- Long grain rice - 1 cup
- Frozen peas - 1/2 cup
- chopped garlic - 3 cloves
- Sea salt - 1 teaspoon
- Mild curry powder - 1 tablespoon
- Masala powder (optional) - 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric - 1 tablespoon
- Paprika - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin - 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Black Peppercorns - 1 teaspoon (crushed)
- Water - 2 cups
- Olive oil - 1 teaspoon
- Onion - 1/2 chopped (not pictured)
- Add the oil to a medium to high heat non-stick pan and warm up.
- Add your garlic and onions and sweat.
- Once they start to brown, add the rest of the ingredients (including the water).
- Gently stir your mixture and leave on high heat until it starts to bubble.
- Then turn the heat down to a low-medium setting and cover the pan with a lid.
- Leave to gently cook/steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Once all the water is soaked up, then you know the rice should be cooked.
- Turn the heat off and leave the lid on to steam and settle for another 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir around your mixture (there shouldn't be any stuck to the bottom of the pan).
- Spoon out rice into a ramekin, press it down with the back of a spoon, place a plate on top and flip around. Tap gently and the rice should then keep its' form on the plate.
- Serve with whatever meat/fish/quorn you wish.